Friday, June 18, 2010

How to Select the “Best” Seafood

Yesterday was the 3-month anniversary of my killing and eating my own chicken.  Since that time I’ve eaten fish once, but I’ve had no other meat.

My objection towards eating land animals is based primarily on how they are raised and slaughtered.  My objections to fish, however, are based less on the humane aspect and more on the environmental impact.  Since overfishing has huge ramifications for the environment, it is important to know where your fish comes from and how it affects the world.  For a quick look at the best types of fish to eat based on environmental impact, check out the Environmental Defense Fund’s Seafood Selector.

3 Months 002

I, like many of you, have cravings for meat.  Chicken, beef, and pork are not options, but using the Seafood Selector, I found that Pacific Halibut is a good environmental choice and a tasty way to satisfy my craving.

3 Months 001

Last night I cooked dinner for me and Laurie.  I got 2 portabella mushrooms, some asparagus, and the aforementioned Pacific Halibut.  I marinated the mushrooms in balsamic vinaigrette, seasoned the asparagus with lemon, salt and pepper, and seasoned the fish with cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper.  Then I put them all on the grill.

3 Months 005

Meanwhile Laurie cooked up some Israeli couscous, which are basically little balls of wheat flour.

3 Months 006

She also sautéed some yellow and green bell pepper with onion to add to the couscous.

3 Months 007

And of course if you have fish you also MUST have margaritas!

3 Months 008

The final result was quite tasty, healthful, and environmentally friendly.  Next time you eat fish, try using the Seafood Selector to make sure you are getting the best overall product.

No comments:

Post a Comment