Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Adzuki Bean Burgers

Even before I gave up meat I had a fascination with veggie burgers.  Most of the time I’d opt for one instead of a beef or turkey burger.  There’s just something about the texture that I really like.  Plus there are so many different varieties that you can’t really get tired of them.

Laurie and I have talked about making our own veggie burgers, and last night I decided to give it a try using whatever “stuff” we had in the fridge.

Birds 003

We had a big pot of Adzuki beans that we soaked and cooked a few days ago.  I also had some brown rice that I made a few nights ago, some carrots, onion, cheese, and egg yolks that Laurie had left over from her egg-white breakfast that morning.

Birds 001

I put all the aforementioned ingredients plus salt, pepper, and cumin into the food processor and blended it together until it was a semi-sticky paste that had the texture of ground beef. 

Birds 005

Then I patted them into the shape of patties and put them in the fridge for an hour to solidify a little bit.

Birds 007

I pan fried them with a little EVO, flipping them after 5 minutes or so.

Birds 008

I topped it off with a little salsa and lettuce, serve with rice and adzuki bean chips and Laurie’s homemade tabouli and VIOLA!  A very tasty, nutritious vegetarian meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment