Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hemp Protein

My biggest concern when I gave up meat was where I was going to get my source of protein.  True there is a lot of protein in beans, nuts, and dairy, but it’s hard to replace the protein you get from meat with those less-than-filling items.  I am a very active person, so I was going to have to be very careful to make sure I was getting enough protein.

Laurie suggested that I start looking into whey protein and make at least one shake a day.  I did start with the smoothies, and I was adding Muscle Milk that we have at our weight room at school.  But a quick read of the ingredients revealed over a dozen words I couldn’t even pronounce!

I did some research on whey protein, egg white protein, and soy protein.  They all had their disadvantages, and many people say all three are particularly hard to digest.  I already have a “weak” stomach, so I wanted to get the easiest thing for me.

After a bit more research I stumbled upon hemp protein.  Hemp protein has many benefits.  In addition to being one of the most sustainable crops on the planet, it also provides plenty of protein (although not as much as some of the other protein powders), Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids, it’s easily digestible, and it is plant based.  Oh, and it has one ingredient:  “Hemp protein powder.”

There are a couple of different brands, but I am trying Manitoba Harvest first.  We’ll see how it goes.

Photo credit:  Manitoba Harvest website

No comments:

Post a Comment