Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Special Delivery

The other day I went to the mailbox to get our mail, and I noticed something odd…there were a bunch of sticks, twigs, and grass lining the bottom of it.  It had been rainy and windy during the preceding week, so I just assumed some debris had blown from the front lawn into the mailbox.  I scooped it out and tossed it away.

The next day, however, when I went to get the mail, there was more of the same stuff in the bottom of the mailbox.  What is going on???

Laurie finally figured it out.  When she pulled up into the driveway, she saw a bird fly out of the mailbox.  They must be building a nest!

Birds 006

Sure enough, over the next couple of days, the pile got bigger.  It’s hard to see in this picture, but the birds hollowed out the bottom corner to make a little cave. 

Birds 005

I left a sign for the mailman to leave our mail in a cardboard box by the front door.  I haven’t actually seen a bird in the mailbox, but the nest is still there.  Hopefully we’ll have a family of birds living there soon!

Birds 003

1 comment:

  1. that's funny! We have purple finches living on our front porch, not in the mail box though! Chickens look like they're doing great.

    ReplyDelete