Monday, April 12, 2010

Meatless Grilling

Ah, Spring.  It’s that time of year for margaritas, long dog walks, and of course grilling.  We went over to a friend’s house last night for that very purpose.  Problem was that everyone else was eating buffalo burgers.  What was I going to eat?

On the way to his house I stopped and picked up a Portabella mushroom.  I’ve never grilled one before, and I was eager to see if it made a grill-worthy meal.

Portabella Mushrooms

I picked out the biggest, best-looking one I could find.  It was about 5 or 6 inches in diameter and had a nice fresh look to it.

I cut off the stem, washed it thoroughly (lots of dirt and grime hiding in there), and soaked it for about an hour in balsamic vinaigrette to help keep it juicy once it was on the grill.

I waited until the charcoal grill was at high/medium heat (hold your hand 4 inches from the surface for 5 seconds without burning yourself, and it’s ready) and placed the mushroom face up on the grill for 5 minutes.  Then I flipped and grilled the other side for 4 minutes.  If you’re not big into timing it, then drink a beer.  Halfway through the beer flip.  When the beer is gone, your mushroom is done!

Make Grilled Portabella Mushroom Burgers

I put it on a bun, added some sweet potato fries and a salad, and made my carnivorous friends jealous!

Photo credits:  http://ourohio.org/, sarahfrancis http://www.ehow.com

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa just said we might have to have those for dinner tomorrow night after reading your post. While eating 100% vegetarian for 10 years I found that most veggies are really good grilled, portabella's are my favorite, but peppers are up there too, not as good on a bun though. In looking into how meat is raised, your friends eating buffalo is much better than eating non-grass-fed beef, buffalo can't be raised in confinement so they're always pasture raised.

    ReplyDelete